Week of February 7-11, 2022
I-70 Glenwood Canyon river bed excavation at Blue Gulch.
The IHC Scott team continues night work and will utilize the mile point 123-124.5 lane closure for 22 hours each day for shift work from 8 a.m.-6 a.m. In order to accommodate commuter traffic, this lane closure will be lifted from 6 a.m.-8 a.m. each day.
The Lawrence team has completed debris removal at Wagon Gulch. Work continues at MP 123.5/Blue Gulch.
Both teams will continue with the eastbound one lane closure from MP 123-124.5.
A daytime westbound one lane closure from MP 118.5-119 will be in place to assist with material hauling and roadway cleaning operations. This lane closure will be picked up on Friday afternoons from 3-6 p.m. to assist with traffic volumes.
Motorists should anticipate slower speeds throughout the canyon and an increase in truck traffic. Work is weather dependent and motorists are reminded to drive the posted speeds through the work zone and drive for conditions.
The GeoHazard project team anticipates they will restart the rockfall fence project sometime in late February/early March.
Motorists planning to travel on I-70 in Glenwood Canyon should pay attention to road conditions on cotrip.org and weather forecasts. Rest area and recreation path information is also available at cotrip.org. I-70 safety closure information can be found on CDOT’s website by clicking here.
Anticipated Traffic Impacts
- There will be an eastbound right lane closure from MP 123-124.5 for the Colorado River recovery work. This lane closure will be in place for 22 hours a day, from 8 a.m.-6 a.m. In order to accommodate commuter traffic, this lane closure will be lifted from 6 a.m.-8 a.m. each day.
- Work at some locations will be conducted from 8 a.m.-6 a.m. Monday-Friday, for maximum productivity.
- A daytime westbound one lane closure from MP 118.5-119 will be in place to assist with roadway cleaning operations.
- In the coming weeks, work may take place on the weekends if necessary to complete work before the end of April.
Stay Informed and Connect with the Project
Project information is available at:
- Project website:
- Project information hotline: 970-319-1887
- Project email: I70GlenwoodCanyon@gmail.com
CDOT launched a new, easy-to-use COtrip website and mobile app with an updated 511 map for drivers to safely navigate Colorado roads. Visit the new mobile-friendly COtrip website at COtrip.org.